Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Where have I been?

Whats been going on the past few weeks?, On the 9th Chris and I had a small 3 hour prenatal class that we were invited to by the public health nurse. That was pretty interesting, I even learned that 4 lbs of my new body weight (currently 21 lbs gained) is just extra blood!~ cool!!!!. Seeing as I have yet to convince Chris to pick up a baby book on his own accord, it was a nice way to force him to get a tiny bit of the prenatal/ birth information into him. Chris was shocked to learn how long labour goes on for on average (according to the class around 14-17 hours from start to finish).

I went for my second diagnostic ultrasound on the 15th to determine whats going on with my placenta, I just got the results back from the doctor this week. They like your placenta to be at least 2.5 inches from the birth canal and mine is at 3.5 so it looks like natural childbirth is still an option for me......huzzah!!! Time to practice with my hypno birth meditations now. In other random doctor check up news the baby has turned head down and my uterus is 17 inches long (one inch smaller than normal but nothing to be concerned about).

I filled out the birth plan form that the hospital gave to me, if things go smoothly, IE: a standard non-complicated birth. I hope to be able to have an active birth using a different pushing position from laying on my back, I want little to no medical intervention : IE: drugs, fetal monitoring. I am adamant about having no students present during the birth or perform any of the postnatal procedures on myself or the baby. I'm actually hoping to be out as soon as humanly possible as well. If I'm able to leave after a few hours I will be happy.

I will be starting my maternity leave in three more weeks (including this one), I will see about doing the hospital tours when I am on my mat leave. Although I have already made it to the labour and delivery room twice this month already, once when I slipped on the wet floors at work, and again a week ago when I noticed some spotting~ which turned out to be a urinary tract infection.....which was surprisingly painful once I started the medication for it. I needed to take an extra day off work last week because my abdomen was so sore it hurt to stand and walk, I'm feeling much better now though.

Zeller's had another baby sale so Chris and I picked up our stroller/ car seat combination at 20% off. Its a pretty cute unisex set. They had a super cute chocolate brown and pink set but it was not on sale, but that's okay we can always hold onto this set for the next baby and not worry about whether its too girlie. I am planning on picking up the play yard in the pink and brown set though. I only have three big-ticket items to buy for the baby (other than the flooring/drywall for her nursery) and I will be getting them in the next three pay checks. The play yard, the crib mattress and the breast pump. The little items like clothes and such are almost all accounted for I'm pretty confident were not doing to badly on that front, especially with all the gifts we have been receiving from people.

Last week while laying in bed I felt a hard little lump in my lower abdomen and rubbed my hand around it, it was either a hand or foot it was a little bit gross but cool at the same time. After a minute or two of Chris and I poking it gently it sucked itself back into obscurity. Some nights when I feel I haven't felt the baby as much as I'm comfortable with I poke and prod gently at my stomach until I piss her off. I'm generally rewarded with a few 5 hit combos which make me laugh, it seems very much like a violent tantrum in response to my prodding. Shes already got her mothers attitude.

No comments: